Saturday, January 21, 2012

Snippets from the Sewing Room

Last year I decided to make a small bedroom into a sewing room. Originally, I had my sewing room combined with my studio for sculpting and other projects. I thought it would be nice to separate them and give me a little more room for my studio. I am sure most of you know....you can never have too much room for creating. So I thought it would be fun to show little snippets here and there of projects in the works and some of my favorite things I have collected over the years.  So I will start with this one little corner of my room!


I started my room off with a color scheme in mind.  I found some fresh pink and bright lime green fabric that I fell in love with.  Sweet wild roses on a white background  was the basis for the pops of color here and there around the room.  These 3 little shelves were found cheaply at the thrift store. I painted them a pink to match my curtains and lined them up on the wall. They hold some of my favorite things. Above them is a beautiful cross stich picture stitched on fabric by an artist named Paula Vaughn. She is a cross stitch designer and watercolor artist. For many years now she has created some of the most beautiful victorian and country designs that I have ever seen. I have stitched many of her designs myself. This is one of my favorites and as luck would have it I stumbled across this piece in a antique store and got it for a song. The colors were perfect and someone did a great deal of work on this beautiful piece of stitchery. I am always sick when I see such beautiful needlework so under valued in the stores. Hours and hours went into this piece and I am happy to have rescued it. Now it will be proudly displayed amongst my most treasured items.
 As I share different photos here and there her designs will show up often as I have been a huge fan of her work for years!
Here is a closeup of the picture. Her designs remind me of a gentler time.
I just love her soft use of color.

No comments: